Tuesday, November 30, 2010

History Channel vs. SyFy

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm finding more and more intersting material on the History Channel than SyFy.  I'm not just talking about the change from SciFi to SyFy either.  Let's face it, the quality of shows on SyFy has been dropping and what are they replacing traditional science fiction and fantasy with?  Wrestling?  Okay, that's about as fictional as you get, but I'd file that more under the genre of violent sitcom than something for SyFy.  Actually, if I may be blunt, I'd put it in my fictional channel called WTF.

Now let's look at the shows on the History Channel.  For the sci-fi lovers there are shows like The Universe, Ancient Aliens, and one I just discovered (not on the online list) called Bad Universe (focused on scientifically plausible threats to our world, how and why - including aliens, asteroids...).  Then for the fantasy fans there's MonsterQuest, Mystery Quest, and others.  Besides, the series, there are a number of specials/movies produced.

Not only are these shows entertaining, but they often give some interesting facts/research information that could be useful in writing.  Using the television may sound like lazy person's research, but these are good, quick references for writers to review in more detail on their own.

So tune it, watch, and

Write On

No comments:

Post a Comment