Monday, September 2, 2013

Dragon Con 2013 Recap

For the first time, I was able to get out and go to the Dragon Con in Atlanta.  I am so glad that I did.  It rebooted my desire to get back to writing.  Being divorced for a year now and a single father doesn't leave a lot of writing time, but I want to get back into it again.  Not to say I've totally slacked.  I have re-written and re-edited a military sci-fi/space opera novel that I am going to start pitching this fall.  But I haven't really started anything new.  That's going to change.

Friday.  I went downtown immediately after dropping my son off at school.  I waited in line for about an hour and got my pass.  Since I had to get back home in time to pick my son up from school, I left shortly after noon, but spent enough time walking around to familiarize myself with where most things I wanted to attend were.

I spent a lot of Saturday going to writer workshops.  Some had some decent information but others seemed geared more for people who either haven't finished any projects or are just getting started.  I didn't really go to many panels.  At least not the ones with the biggest names that you have to wait in line (outside in the heat) for about an hour.  One panel I went to included the author of my favorite current series - The Lost Fleet.  Jack Campbell was part of a Military Sci-Fi vs. Space Opera panel.  Other well known sci-fi writers included Mike Resnick, John D. Ringo, Jean Marie Ward, and Timothy Zahn.  For anyone who's seen these authors it should come as no surprise that John Ringo was the comedian of the group.  I also splurged on getting a cool looking light sabre for a Jedi costume that I hope to have together by Halloween.  Since I'm practicing a sword form, I should be able to make a pretty convincing Jedi.

There were three real highlights for Sunday.  One was the charity auction.  Not exactly something you'd expect to be really exciting, but I got a copy of Jack Campbell's newest novel (an uncorrected proof of the novel which is to be released in October).  The other highlight was participating in Dragon Con's attempt to break the Guinness Book of World Record for most people gathered together in Star Trek costumes.  I'm not a real cosplay type, but I did have a 2009 Star Trek movie-style red shirt (I know).  So I grabbed black pants and joined the group.  Although we didn't break the record we had fun.  I even allowed myself to be photographed being "killed" by a Gorn, Borg, eaten by a Horta, and Bat'lethed by a Klingon.  I was the South Park Kenny of Star Trek (Oh my God.  They killed red shirt!).  I also went to a panel discussing what editors and agents are looking for.  I even made some contacts with agents who gave me their cards and I will try to submit my sci-fi novel to some time in the next week.

Monday, I attended a time travel panel Jack Campbell was on to get his autograph on the book I picked up at the auction.  I'm not a real autograph hound, but this was irresistible.  I also went to a writing hard sci-fi panel with Timothy Zahn, Bob Mayer, and Stephen Antczak.

Overall, it was a fun experience and I'm looking forward to 2014.

That's all for now.  After a long con weekend, I have laundry to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment