Thursday, March 10, 2011

Good Quote For Writing and Life

This Saturday, I'm finally taking my second degree black belt test.  At my school, ETO, one requirement is to write an essay.  Since I'm testing for second degree, my topic was how a black belt turns to back into a white belt.  A friend of mine gave me a good quote from author Louis L'Amour that fit this perfectly:

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished.  That will be the beginning."
Obviously this relates easily to writing and editing and how often do we, as writers, hear that?  I've heard other versions, like "When you think you're done editing, you're half way there."  It really is similar in concept to martial arts.  Getting my first black belt was great, but I knew I still had so much I could learn.  And more importantly, I wanted to learn more.  Writers have to carry that same hunger.  Once the story is written, you must WANT to go back through it over and over and over again to make the manuscript sparkle like the brightest diamond.  Then, take a step back, rest and start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment